Our aim is to tackle prejudice and raise awareness of disability sports and more than 1,200 people a year have completed awareness training – including hundreds of local school children.
All our team are highly-trained and hold an array of qualifications, including BSL signing certificates and a range of impairment-specific coaching badges.
Each course is tailor-made to meet the needs of the group but sessions generally include work on:
- Terminology: understanding the impact of negative and positive terms.
- Overviews of different disabilities, including physical, hidden and learning.
- Basic sign language/Makaton
- Visual impairments: participants experience a range of visual impairments and learn how to support someone.
- Wheelchair skills.
- Impairment-specific sports: participants are given the chance to take part in a range of inclusive sports, including wheelchair basketball, seated volleyball, boccia and goalball.
For more information on the disability awareness programme, email: email@example.com or call 01273 668590.